Strategically located near Auckland City Centre
With the re-organisation of public transport and the motorway system, our house is now located in a most strategic position close to the Southwestern Motorway, Avondale Train Station, and bus stations. The new Waitakere Motorway Exit is only two kilometres away. Travel time to the airport: 18 minutes, inner city (CBD, Queen St, University): 16 minutes, Eden Park Stadium: 13 minutes. We are in easy walking distance (1100m) to the new Avondale Train Station. Travel times from Avondale Train Station are: Mt Albert (3 minutes), Morningside-Eden Park Stadium (8 min), Grafton (15min), Newmarket (17 min), Britomat (28 mins). The next bus stop is at Tiverton Rd corner Whitney St (about 200m). From there are direct buses to the City, the university, New Lynn Mall, and St Lukes Mall.
The holiday home is located in the small suburb New Windsor which between Mount Albert, Blockhouse Bay, Mt Roskill and Avondale. It is approximately 1.3 km² in size and has a population of about 6000 of which 21% are under 15, and 10% over 65. So it is a relatively young suburb in which one third of its population hold a post-high school qualification. Ethnically, 50% of the population are European, and 35% are Asian, predominantly Chinese and Indian.
Facilities in walking distance to our house are shown in the following 1 km radius map of 22 Whitney Street. Bus stops are marked with small green dots, the large green circle is the train station Avondale. Other locations are marked with letter A–E :
* A — In a distance of up to 200m: Fine Horse Chinese Takeaway & Fish’n Chips, a dairy shop, a Beauty Salon, a laundrette, and a playground.
* B — Some shops, pharmacy, fast food restaurants, pizzeria, butcher, barber and a petrol station.
* C — Avondale Village with several shops, banks, post office, police office, physicians, dentists, cinema, bakery etc.
* D — Here’s a pub, a few grocery shops, a butcher etc.
* e — Pak’nSave supermarket.
* f — Malaysia Noodle & Rice House. Good and cheap.
The house is surrounded by several villages that have fairly good shopping and dining facilities. The closest are Avondale (1.8km), Mt Albert (2.7km), New Lynn (2.8km) and Blockhouse Bay (2.9km). New Lynn has a very large shopping complex – the Lynn Mall.